1) In the history of the Serie A2 playoff finals in the LNP era (from 2013/14 onwards), at the end of the first two games on 7 out of 10 occasions (70%) a team found themselves leading 2-0 in the series: in all the cases involved the team with the home factor in favor, as it is today for Scafati on Cantù. In the previous cases, in 4 out of 6 cases (67%) game 3 was decisive for the promotion, with the away victory of the team in the lead (Trento in Capo d’Orlando in 2013/14, Virtus Bologna in Trieste in 2016/17, Trieste in Casale Monferrato in 2017/18, Treviso in Capo d’Orlando in 2018/19). On the remaining two occasions the series went to game 4: in 2020/21 Naples managed to establish itself in Udine and be promoted, while in 2015/16 Fortitudo Bologna also won game 4 at home on Brescia, to bring the series back to Lombardy. The Bolognese comeback was not completed, however, with the Brescians winning the decisive match played in Montichiari.
2) There were 3 out of 10 (30%) series tied at 1-1 after the first two matches: in addition to Udine-Verona, it also happened in 2014/15, between PMS Turin and Agrigento, and in 2020/21, between Basket Torino and Tortona. The development of the three series is identical, with internal success of the teams with the field factor in game 1, and the opponent’s response in the second game. In the previous two, both finals were then resolved in race 5: in 2015 Turin, losing race 3 in Agrigento, won in race 4, and then closed at PalaRuffini for 93-70 in the fifth challenge. In 2021 Tortona, losing game 3 at home, won both the fourth home game (78-77) and the last decisive away match (75-74) at the expense of Reale Mutua Torino. So, in both cases, the losing team in the third game still managed to celebrate promotion.
3) Cantù tries to become the fifth team in the history of the A2 playoffs (4 out of 68 previous ones, 6%), and the first in a final, to overturn an initial 0-2 in a series. In the league in 2021/22 Sodini’s men have a record of 18 wins and 1 lost at home (the only defeat against Bakery Piacenza in the regular season, 4-0 in the playoffs). Away Scafati has a record of 11-7 (1-2 in the playoffs). There is no previous season between the two teams at PalaDesio.
4) Tezenis Verona tries to become the second team to win an A2 playoff final with the home factor to the disadvantage: the only previous (out of 8, 12%) the aforementioned Bertram Tortona in 2020/21, capable of winning in five games against the Reale Mutua Turin. In the league, Tezenis has won 20 and lost 1 at the AGSM Forum (6-0 in the playoffs, the only knockout with San Severo); Udine’s external record 14-4 (2-1 in the playoffs). Friday will be the first match of the season between the two teams on the Verona floor (in Udine the previous two in the Super Cup and the clock phase).
5) The 53 points (to 67) achieved in game 2 in Scafati by Acqua S.Bernardo Cantù are the minimum for an A2 playoff finalist, equaling Udine in game 2 in Naples in 2021 (ko 53-57). After the first two matches in Udine Old Wild West and Tezenis achieved the same score (131-131); curious to note how the two games ended with the same score, 67-64: in favor of Udine in game 1, to the advantage of Verona in the second game, with the decisive triple scored by Karvel Anderson.
#Playoff #Serie #Wild #West #Finals #eve #Game